Friday, April 3, 2009

Prose: You will laugh and know

The wise words of Wendell Berry, American poet and farmer, were brought to my attention recently while reading Entries, a book of prose published in 1994. One phrase, “we belong to one story”, from the piece below struck a cord in me.



The Blue Robe 



How joyful to be together, alone
as when we first were joined
in our little house by the river
long ago, except that now we have

each other, as we did not then;

and now instead of two stories fumbling
to meet, we belong to one story

that the two, joining, made. And now

we touch each other with the tenderness

of mortals, who know themselves:

how joyful to feel the heart quake

at the sight of a grandmother,
old friend in the morning light,

beautiful in her blue robe!

by Wendell Berry

Backgrounder: “Mr. Berry’s poem reminded me that a grandmother walks quietly past my side of the bed every morning, in her own blue robe, trying not to wake me. She seldom succeeds. After 38 years together we now run by the same internal clock.” gaharrison


You will laugh and know

when I was a young man
I wrote long poems for you.
now that I am older
I write a song or two,
and hope the lines
though short on heat
won’t miss a beat
but catch you by surprise.
and you will laugh and know
our youth is in our eyes.

gah









.

3 comments:

  1. Great poems. Enjoyed reading both especially the blue rob.
    CHeers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting, Susan.

    My son told me about W. Berry. His words hit home with me. Have you read any of his books?

    GAH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi OrLaNd,

    Thanks for visiting Hit Songs... by G. Harrison.

    Your blog is very intersting and helpful to others. You will do well.

    Cheers,

    GAH

    ReplyDelete