Friday, September 28, 2012

(15) Discovering the World in One Pair of Pants

Last words about my bicycle trip to Port Bruce (PB), Aug. 24 - 27, 2012


Summary: rain not bad, keeps body cool. I need cycling shoes and toe clips, mirror to view traffic behind” 

*

CHAPTER EIGHT   -  Brief Debrief

After any trip I like to sit on the back deck and think or talk about the miles covered, people seen, likes and dislikes, pros and cons and what I could do better next time. Because there will always be a next time.

When I summarized some of my feelings on paper while sitting at the corner of Ferguson and Yarmouth Centre Line, still several miles from home on Monday, August 27 I wrote the following:



I should consider fenders...

Maybe I was tired of water from the road flying onto my hat.

I continued:

... paniers front and back, video camera mount, (therefore) save time, though getting off bike is a GOOD thing

Maybe I was thinking that ‘lighter is better’ and that people would love to watch videos of me cycling down a country road in baggy shorts. Maybe my rear end was sore. 

Actually, it was really sore because I added these words next:

Wider seat, eg., like a tractor (seat) for my sore bum

Hey, at least I’m honest. And at the time I was pretty happy because my final note says this:

Goal: go again, plan next trip, doesn’t have to be longer.

And from those words I deduce that I had a good time during my four day bicycle trip to Port Bruce. As well, I had so much fun I wanted to go on more trips like it. I perhaps felt I'd do the same trip again someday and realized four days away from home was a very good break for a guy of my age and temperament.

Already I feel future destinations might include Long Point, Turkey Point, Paris, Damascus, Brussels, Zurich, and Vienna. I hear Paris is especially beautiful at anytime of year and is within easy reach by bicycle from my home in London, Ontario. Less than 100 kilometers, I think.

Perhaps I’ll forget the tractor seat idea and walk next time, say to a camp ground closer to home. Though a walk to Port Bruce can’t be too daunting can it?


We’ll see. Anything is possible as I continue to discover the world in one pair of pants.

 [Photos by G.Harrison]

***

Please click here to read Discovering the World - CHAPTER SEVEN   -   PT 2

No comments:

Post a Comment